Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Time for a break

Yesterday mom blew my hair off.  I had just finished telling her that I was pooped out, and as a result, was taking myself on a mini  vacay down near Austin, all by myself, for some R and R.  She thought that was a great idea.  Then she said "You look good...have you had work done?"  I swanny.  I about d-i-e-d.  I just never know what she's going to say next and I told her "HELL, YES, I've had work done...you know I had a face lift almost 10 years ago!".  With that, the aide that had come in to change her and get her up from her nap almost fell out of the chair laughing.  Mom was laughing and I was doubled over howling.  Have I had work done....please.  She sat there smiling like she'd just made the worlds best funny and in lots of ways she had.  Where did that come from?

The disease of Alzheimer's never ceases to amaze me.  How people hang on for so long in various states of awareness blows my mind and the backing and forthing is a whole other issue.  One minute mom is cracking funnies and the next minute she's "out there".  You just never know what's coming.  The Scream lady--the one with the frozen face--is still here, though I'm not sure here is really accurate.  I thought she'd be long gone by now.  There just is no rhyme or reason to this disease.  Once I think I understand what's going on, I find out I don't.  I just cannot wrap my brain around this disease.

As a result of my vacay, I will not be blogging from Sunday- Thursday.  In fact, I may not do just a whole lot of anything except let someone else take care of moi'.  I've never done this before and I think it's high time I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment