Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Welcome Home

Wow.  I feel like that old Western song "Back in the Saddle Again".  Boy, it doesn't take long, does it?  It's like burning up on re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere. 

We ran by last night to see mom and she looked like a little kid who'd been in a food fight.  She either didn't like what they were feeding her or someone's aim needs improving.  Anywho, she was about the same. We told her about how cool and wonderful it had been in Colorado and she ooo-ed and ahh-ed at the appropriate spots.  I realized she doesn't even know it's hot outside since she never goes outside. But she still remembers what August in Dallas is like, if you tell her.
 Another gentleman who lives over in the Independent Living side had come over with their dog, to see his wife.  Sadly, his wife didn't know him or the dog, and he told us she had been put on Hospice 5 weeks ago.  He seemed to think that was a l-o-n-g time until I smiled and said mom had been on Hospice16 months.  He looked at me like he'd seen a ghost.  He had told us he'd declined to go on a cruise to Alaska with their son, afraid that his wife might die while he was gone.  I told him I had done the exact same thing last year, but that this year, I went.  I told him next time to just go.  Go make memories for himself  and his son's family, and to keep on living. 

I think I might have shocked him a little.  I couldn't have gone this time last year either, just like he couldn't go right now.  Maybe this time next year neither one of us will be visiting over at the Plaza.  Or, maybe we will.  Who knows.  All I do know is, we both have to keep living  fully and finding our joy.  That's what life's about.                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment