Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, October 22, 2009

I am soooo grateful

I'm grateful for a lot of things but just lately, I've become aware of just what a luxury running water truly is, in my life.  Since we've been without running water for 2 days and just recently found the source of the leak, I've had a good forty eight hours to take a hard look at this.  Washing your hands (or brushing your teeth)??  Nope.  OMG.  Especially during flu season??  Solution: Bottled water --the hand sanitizer thing just doesn't do it for me if there's any clean H2O available.  And then there's the flushing issue...not gonna happen-- which can really destabilize your day, if you aren't thinking about it.  Showering, shampooing?  The Y, or next door at my neighbors.  Water for the dogs and cat?  Again, those big honkin' things of water from Tom Thumb.  Washing clothes, running the dishwasher?  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  Cooking?  Eeew..Let's just stop at totally gross--there is take out, you know.
Today, I have a whole new perspective on and appreciation for those ladies in Third World countries who carry their families water, on their heads, daily, or for those people right here at home, who, for whatever reason, have no access to running water.  I personally couldn't carry enough water-on my head or otherwise-which is truly making me take a hard look at my own water consumption.

I know some of you all must be rolling your eyes since perhaps you are the "camping" type.  Weeeeell, good... for.... you.... is all I can say to that.  I can camp out--I just want to do it at one of those fabulous, luxurious places in Montana or Canada where you live in tents with furniture, electricity, gourmet meals served on china, a chandelier, turn down service, and your own personal bathouse next door.  Now that's what I call camping.  The other??  Nah.
Water??  Gotta have it.  And I think I'll be more mindful of it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment