Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, October 10, 2009

OK...I did it

And it was sooo worth it and continues to be.  I made my first fire of the Fall.  When it hits the mid 50 degrees, it's time, and it was.  Bruce was busy doing much needed yard work so I didn't have anyone naysaying in the background, as I readied the fireplace.  He'd mowed the front & just finished blowing the patio, so both front and back yards were clean, and he was otherwise engaged.  I figured I had a good fifteen minutes or so of pure pleasure before he'd come in, and my fire would be well established by then.
So, to the wood ring I went and loaded up my arms with wood.  After piling the wood on the log holder and opening the damper, the "fire" rush started.  OMG....I gently turned the knob for the gas, and struck a long handled match.  Almost there...  And pouf.  The crackling began and the smoke furled, as I tossed the big match onto the pile.  Skinny logs and fat ones burned side by side.
All afternoon I have fed and nurtured that fire.  I just added another stack of logs, as my "alternate fire keeper" let it die down while I took a nap.  Big no-no. 
 You know....you just can't get good fire keepers anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment