Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, October 18, 2009

I'm losing my best friend...

Sad but true.  My best friend for the last fifteen years is on that l-o-n-g, one way trip out of town.  To Dog Town.  I can hardly stand it. He's been my rock forever.  He knows all my secrets and still loves me.  And he still wags his tail like he can hear me, when I talk to him, even though he's deaf.... as.... a.... post.
This morning when I tried to wake him up to leave the Farm & head home, I thought he'd already "left", if you know what I mean.  Nope.  He was just sooo dead asleep (no pun intended) and deaf, I practically had to shake him like an old rug to wake him up.  I really thought he'd checked out, when he finally rolled his eyes at me and yawned.
And then the breath hit me....well, something's dead, anyway.   And it's not like he's even got a mouthful of teeth--he doesn't-- but that b-r-e-a-t-h........oh, Lordy.  The Vet won't clean them anymore since he's so old so we're stuck brushing them--with chicken flavor toothpaste. 
He's started that "dementia dog" barking---on just one note---over and over and over.  It doesn't do any good to yell at him to stop--he's deaf, remember??  And did I mention the whining....sometimes he does it when he's just sitting in his bed alone.  Or the paw licking, or the blanket licking.... I had the Vet check him to be sure he wasn't in pain and the Vet said "nope...he's just old". 
Whew....what a relief.  Even stinky I still love him, buzzard breath and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment