Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Cocktail on the Alz. Unit

After a weekend of bird hunting and mouse poop, I'm glad to be home.  Nothing beats coming home to a clean house and your own bed.  OK...maybe your own personal chef would be nice but I can live without one, which is a really good thing considering I'll most likely never have one.  I remember a maid my mom hired way back when and I don't know who she worked for prior to us, but why they ever let her go is beyond me.  I can't remember her name, but I can sure remember her lighter than air pancakes (she folded in whipped egg whites and I know because I went in and watched her) and her homemade rolls were like little clouds.  Lord love a duck....they melted in your mouth and even with Fleishman's margarine (mom's brand), they were the closest thing to heaven I'd ever tasted.  With real butter, I might have died.  I wish she'd worked for us longer so I could have learned how to cook from her. 

I ran by to see mom this afternoon and she was watching re-runs of my favorite show Flipping Out.  I sat on her bed and we laughed our heads off before she said out of no where "I sure would love a glass of wine tonight...I haven't had one in ages".  I said "Would you really?" and she nodded.  I hopped off the bed and went down the hall to the Nurses station to see what sort of rigamorole I'd need to go through for her to have a glass of wine in the evenings, if she wants.  Turns out, not too much.  They will have her doctor sign off that it's not contraindicated with her current meds, and then all she needs is some chilled Pinot Grigio and a plastic glass, and she'll be a sipping gal.  Pinot is her favorite.   When I spoke with the Nurse Manager, she said she'd keep it in the front refrigerator so she could keep tabs on it and I appreciate that since mom used to keep wine for my great aunt at Monticello West, and had a tough time keeping the staff out of it! 

When I went back to tell mom that I was pretty sure I could make it happen by tomorrow evening, she laughed her head off and then almost cried.  She said "Would you really do that for me?" and I said "Sure...why not??"  I told her she can only have one glass each night, but she said that's all she wants anyway and only on the nights she wants it.  Wellllll...who knew....cocktail hour on the Alzheimer unit in room 153.  Makes me laugh to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment