Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Where's my mom?

Mom is completely different these days from the mom I remember from my childhood--or any other time for that matter.  And the saddest part is, I really like this one better.  Mom is, quite frankly, like a different person in a lot of ways.  She watches TV now most of the day and laughs out loud frequently.  It's a joy to hear her giggle and laugh.  I really don't remember her laughing very often in my childhood or my growing up years.  I'm not saying she didn't--I just don't remember it much.  Sometimes she gets so tickled and laughs so hard she starts wheezing--just like me.

There's an easiness about her these days, too.  It doesn't seem like too much upsets her.  As long as she's comfy, clean and dry, and not hungry, there just doesn't seem to be much wrong in her world and let me just say this: I don't know who that person is because that's sure not the mom I remember!  And she is appreciative and says thank you.  Who is this lady?

She actually seems happier and more positive, too.  It's as if when her disease took away a lot of her memory, it also obliterated the part of the brain that judges, criticizes, pot stirs, etc. Once she settled in to the new unit, I can't think of the last time mom has said anything even remotely critical.  Granted she doesn't talk a lot either but never the less, this is just a total about face for someone who I'll openly admit, I struggled to get along with for the majority of my life.

 And she's funny, too.  The stuff she says is hilarious and when people tell me she speaks Spanish to EVERYONE at the Plaza--even the Service dogs that come to visit--it makes me howl.  Even the Plaza staff thinks she's funny.  It makes me more aware every day to cherish and remember this time because it may not be too long before this changes.  I'm going to make as many fun memories with her as I can, while I can.  You just never know when things are going to change, and they will change, somehow.  There's just nothing as consistent as change, and I hope and pray the old mom doesn't reappear.  This mom is just delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment