Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I vote merger

As I have admitted before, sometimes I am hopelessly naive so here's my quandary for today.  In all this American Airlines bankruptcy and re-org business (and or possible merger), why is it the little guys who always take the cut?  Why do the fat cats upstairs in management get to keep slicing the pie bigger at their end, and smaller for the pilots, flight attendants, and baggage guys?  Yes, I realize a merger with US Air will create less alternatives in flying (fewer flights) and higher ticket prices, but the mean old badass in me wants to see the AA upper management be forced to take one for the team, even if the end result is I get the bill.  I guess I'm just really sick of all the small players getting less than.  We see it everyday.  I guess I should be used to it by now and maybe that's part of the problem.  We see it so much that a lot of us don't even question it anymore.

  No wonder all the flight attendants, reservation people, and ground crews have "Air rage"..wouldn't you?  No, it's not OK to take it out on the public, but have you ever had to work, day in and day out with some of the people who are flying these days?  Some days it's like a flying Psych unit. Customers scream at you, cuss you out, throw things at you, minus the psych unit restraints and meds.  And that's before you've even left the ground.  Then there's the people in their pj's carrying their pillow.  Put on clothes, please, or stay home.  Day in and day out, that will take a toll on you.  And then you get another pay cut--or get furloughed.

Frankly, maybe it's just where I am in my life but I think there's a LOT to be said for just slowin' your roll.  Back in the 60's and 70's, air travel was more of a luxury-- and it may well become one again.  If so, OK.  So we stay home more.  Or, take more car trips, gas prices willing.  Big deal.  The bottom line is, what's going on now sure isn't working,  and American has proven over and over they do not know how to run their company.  Maybe it's time to give someone else a chance at it.  Let's see what a fair and equitable solution might look like.  Oh, I'm dreaming again, right??

On a happier note, look who is puffing away in the backyard, loaded with a brisket.  Oh, yeah, baby.  Now that's happiness!


                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment