Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Advantage Miles?

Well, dang.  My phone just rang and I got some bad news.  One of my favorite people in the world won't be coming this week to iron, since her house was broken into in El Campo, Mexico, and she's had to go home to deal with the fall out.  When the phone rang, I launched into my Spanglish, to visit, only to have her daughter, Gabby, start laughing.  Gabby speaks perfect English so I quickly switched gears.  Her mom, Senora Maria, lets me run wild with my Spanish, but I hated to put Gabby through it.  Anywho, I know what I'll be doing this afternoon and since Sis is absolutely no help, and will nap while I toil away, I'll just turn the TV so she can't watch.  If you aren't gonna help, you're not watching TV with me.  Yes, I realize I could take some of this stuff to the cleaners, but they tear up my stuff, so I'll just do what needs "doin'", and leave the rest for Senora Maria next week. 

Now, we need to discuss air miles and why we all have those credit cards to collect them.  I recently have used the heck out of my credit card to collect them and build back my total, but am now asking myself why.  For European jaunts, and for sure the summer flights, they have absolutely NO seats on direct flights, so in order to use your "free" miles, you have to fly all over the world, just to get where you want to go.  They want to SELL the direct flight seats.
  So what gives?  How exactly is this such a great thing?  Yes, we have flown Business class to Europe in the past, when we were traveling shoulder season, and booked almost a year in advance.  And, yes, we've flown Benji back a forth from Nash a fair amount using miles, with a two week advance purchase, but I'm still trying to remember why I bust it to collect miles in the first place.  Oh, yeahhhhhh....now I remember....I like Business Class.  Especially on long flights.  It's roomy and I like watching my own special TV, with my little travel goodie bag they used to give you, which they probably don't any more.  It probably got the hook along with the solo olive on your salad, in order to save $$$, so the American Airlines big dogs can receive an even bigger bonus.   Well, damn.....I still like Business Class, so I guess I'm just gonna keep on collecting.  I may just have to go wherever Business Class seats are available.  Like maybe Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment