Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cotton Candy hair?

I had to laugh yesterday after going to visit mom.  She had been to the "Hair Hut" and I'm not sure what happened, but her hair just did not look like it usually does.  It looked shorter, but more to the point, it looked like swirled cotton candy, like they do at the State Fair when they swirl it on one of those paper cones.  Combined with her recently dyed eyebrows that went really dark, I had to look really hard to find my mom in all that.....style.  Egads.  She'd kill me if she knew how she really looked but as long as she's happy and clean, that's enough for me.  Yes, I can call the salon and give input, but seriously, how important is it? She thinks she looks fine so I'm NOT rocking the boat.

When I visit her, I always try to ask questions, so I can assess where she is in her disease process.  Yesterday when I asked her what she'd had for lunch, she couldn't remember, but then, I had to think for a second what I'd had, too.  Then when she told me the food had been "wonderful as always" and that she'd "eaten with all her buddies", I could tell she was just making it up as she went along.  (When I realize she's doing that it always tickles the hell out of me and it's hard not to laugh.)  All of her favorite buddies are still over in Assisted Living, and although she's made some gal pals over in her unit, they aren't her main squeezes.  Never mind her previous complaints of the food.   I just played right along and we had a great visit.  I later checked, and they reported she has good days where she's perky and less great days where she's not so happy, but that sounds like everybody else in real life, so we're good from my standpoint. 

I could tell she'd lost some ground when I realized she'd forgotten about Benji's upcoming wedding but that's no biggie.  Lots of people her age wouldn't remember either--not to mention younger people, too.  It's just not the focus of everybody's world, let's face it.  Just mine!!  :)

I'm just so grateful for the care she receives, and the fact that she can afford to be where she is.  Parenting your parents is no day at the beach, no matter what the situation is, and she is one very lucky lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment