Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Thank You, NY

I woke up this morning to see that the New York Governor has signed same sex marriage into law and all I can say is, it's about time.  That's probably going to shock the crud out of some folks and others will just laugh, knowing that's just how I roll.  Here's how I see this big old thang:  I figure it's none of my damn business in the first place, who marries whom.  If it's two guys or two gals, big damn deal and, no, that does not threaten my concept of marriage in the slightest.  If two people love each other, let them marry, for heaven sake.  How could same sex marriages have any worse divorce statistics than heterosexual ones--and even if they did, that still wouldn't be a reason for them not to marry.   And if they want to adopt children, and bring them into a loving home, bring it on.  There are w-a-y too many children out there that need homes, and if any couple is willing to take those children, God, bless them, please.

Does this rock my concept of the definition of marriage?  Nope.  Does it rattle my cage about the definition of family?  Hellllllll, no.  I believe family can be whatever you create it to be.  Anybody who can't handle that or doesn't agree with that is still fine in my book.  You don't have to agree with me. I just don't think I have the right to define for someone else, what their family should consist of, and how it should look.  I can decide what works for me, but I sure as blazes don't get to decide for YOU. 

 Next will come the people who say "well...that's not what the Bible says or that's not what God intended".
First of all, I don't really think the Bible is a finished work--I believe it's a collection of stories-- and as for what God intended, the God of my understanding is just pure deee fine with same sex couples marrying because 1) He created them just like He created me 2) anywhere there is true love is where HE is 3) and same sex couples are His children, too.  Does He discriminate?  No.  If He loves all of us just the same, and mine does, where's the big damn deal?

I'll tell you where: it's all bound up in a bunch of FEAR.  Fear of change, fear that people might have to see something differently and that's a change, and people don't characteristically want to do that because it's NEW and uncharted territory.  If everything stays just like it is, then nothing changes = no fear.  Guess what? Change is inevitable and all that fear is in..... your.... head.

And lastly, for those who judge and criticize saying "that's just wrong" and "they have weird sex", I say, honey, LOTS of straight couples have "weird sex", and if you've ever been near a hospital Emergency Room, you would know just exactly how weird.  And as for "wrong", who gave you the right to judge what's OK for someone else, anyway?  It's none of your business or mine.  It's God's. 
And that's just how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment