Blog Patrol Counter

Friday, June 17, 2011

Welcome, Sarah!!

I could already tell it was going to be a  great weekend...wanna know how I knew?  Because a new follower joined the ranks, and it's none other than my ages ago across the street neighbor, Sarah!!  Woo hoo and welcome, Sarah! 

This afternoon on a whim, I decided to go see Mary, my next door neighbor, over on the skilled nursing unit (3rd floor) at The Plaza, where mom lives.  In case I haven't mentioned it, Mary had hip surgery a couple of weeks back, and is now there recovering.  She had called the other day from the hospital, telling me where she was moving, and to come see her, so I did.  I figured I could see both mom and Mary, and then head home.  I must have been overcome by the swimming pool sized SF limeade I was sipping, to think this might just be a routine little visit.  There is actually no such thing with old people.

First and foremost,  Mom was not in her room--she was down the hall with everyone else watching a belly dancer.  Now, of all the things I would have thought she might be doing, watching a belly dancer would have been right up there next to performing brain surgery--but if she enjoyed it, I'm thrilled she went.  I'm so glad the elevator was empty on my way up to see Mary, so I could LMAO, and I did, too.  A belly dancer?

Next up was Mary, and post ice cream party, she was as feisty as usual.  Since her only daughter lives in Virginia, you know who is the next best thing--her next door neighbor who she's known for 27 years--me.  I'm her mail grabber, her plant waterer, her yardman payer, you name it.  We have been together through everything imaginable-- and some unimaginable.

We visited briefly, in the stifling heat of her 80 degree room before I told her "Mary, it's too damn hot in here....aren't you smothering in here?"  And here was her reply "Actually, I'm right comfortable, but you better cool it off or I know you'll leave".  At that I burst out laughing telling her "you're damn right I will 'cause you are trying to COOK me".  And then she dropped the bomb.  Her daughter has invited her to come live with her family in Virginia, and while Mary initially pulled off a Golden Globe worthy performance of ain't this great, when I asked how she felt about that, that's when the opened the floodgates opened.  We talked, she cried, we laughed...and we finally just concluded that while, yes, this will be a really tough adjustment, it will be whatever she makes up her mind for it to be.  It will have it's pro's and con's, but so would staying here in Dallas.  So, in August, she'll be leaving to "go try it" for three weeks.  The reality?  She's not coming back, and I already know that.....and I'm sure she does,  too.  I just HATE losing my elderly, feisty, lady friends.  Especially this one. 

3 comments:

  1. She's so lucky to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the warm welcome! I have been reading for a while and then realized I wasn't a follower--so now it is official. Your slant on things is sooo entertaining, it brightens my day. It was ages ago when you "pinked" my house after Becky was born. She got married June 4th. Hope your wedding will be great fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have you and I am thrilled about Becky's recent wedding!

    ReplyDelete