Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Attempted "Jail Break"

Well, isn't it always just something?  Last night after dinner, we ran by to see mom and I noticed her left hand was really swollen, as were her fingers.  Think a catcher's mitt and that's pretty much the look.  When I gently lifted up her hand, she said it really hurt, though I could straighten out her fingers carefully.  No bruising, which was weird, so I reported it to the nurse so mom could have it xrayed.  After that, we took her outside for some fresh evening air and to enjoy being outside.  When the wind blew through her hair, she jumped at first, and then sighed.  She seemed to enjoy just being out in nature and seeing the world again, even with a breeze.

We were a little worried about getting her back inside, as we had a little minor incident getting her out.  Since Memory Care is a lock down unit to keep the "travelers" inside, one lady tried to make a break for it as I rolled mom out, and Fred had to shove her back in, as she shoved like hell to get out.  Wouldn't you know, it was mom's next door neighbor who is able bodied and wily as a fox.  When she saw that door open and mom going out, she gave it everything she had to bolt, and it was yet another look at the effects of dementia, up close and personal. Please, Alzheimer research, come up with a cure.  This disease is awful.

OK...back to my story.  So going back in, we smartened up and got the Concierge to help us.  While he used the peep hole to be sure it was all clear, I punched the code, Fred opened the door, and the three of us shot through, while the Concierge stood guard for any jail breakers.  Egads.....just another Friday  night, right?  

The good news is, I just checked with Charlotte, the weekend RN, and mom's xray was negative.  Charlotte said she thinks mom may have slept on her hand, which is entirely possible and I certainly have no better idea of what may have caused it.  I asked them to ice bag it for the swelling, which now that I think about it, won't last a nano second because mom will hate it and be cold.  Oh, well.  So much for playing nurse.
                                

On today's agenda is pesto making, since I scalped my basil plants a day or two ago and have the cuttings sitting in fresh water.  Time to get on it.  Fresh pesto and sliced tomatoes are exactly what this weekend calls for!  And maybe another homemade pizza tonight.  It's summer time....kick back and enjoy it before it gets too hot.  I may even wash my car and bathe Sister outside in the hose.  She hates that!!  (heh, heh, heh) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment