Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, May 20, 2012

A trip to The Cliff

OK...first things first.  Congratulations to Mark Zuckerberg and his new wife and a big bravo for their small  uber private surprise wedding and reception, in their backyard.  For someone who could afford anything, this was perfect, IMO.  And congrats to his wife on her graduation from Medical School, earlier in the week.  Man, what a week they've had.

Now on to the fun part.  Yesterday afternoon, we went to an Art Show in Oak Cliff where you went from home to home to see artists work.  Admittedly, some of it was not my taste (ie. total ca-ca) but Bruce's friend's was extraordinary, and worth the trip any old day.  Unfortunately, his wife will not let him sell any of it (yet) but there's always hope.  It's too hard to describe what he does and I'd never be able to do it justice.  You just need to see it and I wish I'd taken some pictures of it.  Just know each piece tells a story, and the one about him and his grandfather had to be my most favorite--OK...one of my favorites.

He and his wife are artsy to the core and it shows everywhere--especially in their backyard.  He built their fence, their arbor, and together they landscaped it.  He built their deck and the whole thing just gave me hope that our backyard could be lovely someday.  His wife is a Food Stylist, and I got to see her garage storage area with all of her "toys"--plates, platters, an entire container filled with different types of ice cream scoops, pottery, container after container of textiles--napkins, table cloths, you name it, she has it.  And the best part is, the textiles were all perfectly organized, folded, and in portable plastic carriers.  I nearly keeled over.  She told me some of the old fabrics simply are not made anymore and you just can't get them, even on Ebay, which is why she treasures and protects what she has.  It was all so Martha Stewart and cool, it was a good thirty minutes before I returned to the Earth's atmosphere.  And speaking of Martha, (this gals name is Martha also) she's actually seen Martha S's prop supply closets, in person.  Damn...I should have gotten the other Martha's autograph.  She'd have laughed her head off if I'd asked.

The next stop was at the home of two guys and their art was down right creepy.  They could not have been nicer, but all the penis's and erotica was just not my deal and their home was dark and depressing to me.  We were in and out in a heartbeat.  Third and forth stops were OK--nothing great--except for the artist's work I really liked, I found out it was not for sale and that he's dead.  Swell.  We went to this guys house pictured here, and ran into a friend that we both know and didn't realize she lived in the Cliff.

After that, we headed home but what a blast.  I'd never been deeper into Oak Cliff that the Bishop Arts District, so this was was a hoot and as we drove around, we discussed the houses.  Some were ultra cool and I decided I could live in that area easily if it wasn't so far to some of my stuff here.  Maybe I could anyway.  Who knows, and it's sure fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment