Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sprinklers and frogs

It is a big day on our block, at least it is for my next door neighbor, Mary.  At 82, she is getting her very first sprinkler system, mandated by her youngest son.  Can I get an amen on that, please?  When she had to go into the hospital last summer unexpectedly, her son and I dragged all the hoses and twirly sprinklers for 6 weeks, in August, and I nearly died.  She had this elaborate set up with timers, switches, and levers, and no instructions.  I never did quite figure it all out but let's just say I got the yard wet.

  Since her son lives in Plano, he did it on weekends, and with three kids and their baseball schedules, he struggled as much as I did.  He finally told me to just "not worry about it and let it all burn up" but I knew Mary would KILL me if I did.  With the drought, I knew I could at least throw that card, but I just could not let her yard burn to a cinder.  She loves her roses too much, and her dead husband planted each and every one of them.  She says she talks to him through his roses, as she snips and dead heads them, so now you see why I had to drag those damn hoses.  It was her link to him.  When she left for Virginia for 6 weeks last Fall, she wanted me to do it again, and I told her no.  Thank the good Lord I have learned to say no, and for sprinklers.  She's going to love hers.  I am, too.

Now on another yard related topic, look what Hudson found at school.  He's growing so fast I almost cannot believe he will be a first grader in the Fall and look at the pride on his face for catching that frog.  He's getting that string bean look that all little boys go through and I know with summer, lots of sun and great food, he's going to shoot up even more.  Kids always grow the most during the summer.  What a delight it is to watch "the smalls" grow up!
   P.S.  Mr and Mrs Duck are out front again drinking out of the puddles at the curb.  Bleh.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment