Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, May 3, 2012

MYOB

Detachment.  Egads what a concept.  Allowing other people to be who they are, whether I like it or not, whether it suits me, whether they are acting in a way I think they should, or if their behavior is even a very good idea.  It doesn't matter.  My job is to back off and give then the dignity to be who they are and learn what they need to know.  It's not my business to tell someone else how to do their life, what they should do, etc. My job is to mind my own business.  

So many of us think we are doing someone a favor by stepping in, unasked, and giving them the benefit of our wisdom.  Did you ever listen when this was done to you?  Of course not.  Are they listening to you when you do it now??  Same answer.  Of course not.

 Did you like it when people tried to run your life?  Hell no.  So why do we all keep doing it?  We do it because we want to avoid the pain we'll have to feel, watching someone else get hurt.  Pretty selfish, isn't it?   It's not about the pain they'll feel--it's about us not wanting to have to hurt.  We're saying please don't do that because I won't be OK if you do. 

  Today I know I can't prevent anything.  Some people think they can, but they can't.  They just aren't that powerful.  If you really think you are, here's a little test for you:  Did you make the sun come up this morning?  Can you make it rain?    Yeah....me either.

1 comment: