Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Alien in my refrigerator

Holy smokes....I opened the refrigerator to grab the Fat Free cream for my coffee and my annual roll dough had come to life. When I made it yesterday afternoon, I decided to t-r-y putting it in a little bit smaller bowl than I usually use, for space saving sake. Last night I noticed it was pushing against the foil covering but I figured Heavy Duty foil was just that--heavy duty--so I'd be OK.
Well, no. The yeast I used must be on steroids since it not only pushed up the foil, but crept over the side, and down the edge of the bowl. It's a miracle it didn't eat one of the dogs.
I have since tamed that beast--I pulled out the old favorite giant yellow bowl that I snitched from mom thirty years ago when I moved into my first place. You know the kind I'm talking about--the set of nesting bowls that are each a different color and every family in America is required to have. Sort of like a birth certificate. You have to have these. Anyway, my dough is now resting quietly in a lightly greased familiar bowl, waiting to be turned into homemade rolls later today.

This is another one of those once a year things I just have to do---and when I got my Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer a few years ago, I was about to stroke to use that dough hook. I don't know why...probably the novelty of it but it just had to happen. And it was worth it just to see what it does. Now I use both the paddle (first to mix more evenly) and then the hook to finish off the dough. Oh, I do love cooking toys.
So, late today my plan is to get out my favorite wooden bread dough board, turn on the Christmas music, grab some flour and the tins for the rolls and let it rip. Ahhhhh, nirvana. Nothing like rolling out that dough, cutting it, dipping it in melted butter, and plopping it folded in half, into the tin with it's brother rolls. Then it's either covered, tagged, & gifted with instructions on how to let it rise, or it gets loosely covered and placed on top of my freezer in the Utility room, to go nite-nite and rise. Four hours later, into a 350 degree oven until cooked. Oh, yeah..... And did I mention the smell.....of hot cooking yeast rolls?? Oh, Lordy.

For those of you who enjoy a visual--here it is. Part of my annual roll making is all about my attire, and, no, I'm not wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, although that might be deemed an improvement. Instead, I am in my most favorite cooking ensemble: my scrubs & clogs. Quite a look, I admit. It's sort of hard to decide if I look like I'm cooking or resuscitating something.

The human tsunami (Benji) just rolled in from a night on the town ( sleeping elsewhere--like there was any sleep, please) so maybe I will be resuscitating someone--with breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. How about posting REAL pictures of you and the dough. This visual stuff only goes so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to learn how to post pic's. I guess I could take them with my phone--at least the dough anyway.

    ReplyDelete