Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, December 14, 2009

Crashman update

Since a lot of people have been asking how Crashman is, I decided to go ahead and post here--that way Bruce and Charlotte (my 2 followers) will know. Brian is now walking without crutches or a cane and has been for several weeks, and has been driving since around Halloween. I think I had remarked on here earlier that the first time he walked in to the TV room where I was on the computer, unaided, I like to d-i-e-d. For this mom, that moment stood still in time and will remain so in my memory. The accompanying tennis ball in my throat feeling rushes back the second I think back about it. Whoa....big stuff.

Brian says that he can tell his TBI (traumatic brain injury) though mild, makes him more irritable, more easily. I personally can attest to that and it's going to just be a function of time for his brain to heal. He knows that also but it's not terribly comforting when you feel a real pisser coming on. He's a little more forgetful and sometimes I think that's a little scary for him. As he applies for jobs, irritability and forgetfulness do make you worry about your job performance. He said he can feel the irritability coming--he just can't throw the brakes on it yet.

He has three more PT sessions before they reevaluate him for more and he has a knee MRI scheduled for after Christmas to see if he might need any additional knee surgery. Sometimes his knee just feels a little "flimsy" but that may also be muscle related. We'll see. Then the first week of January he goes back to have his eyesight reevaluated. Since his head hit the pavement so hard even with a helmet, he has some slight vision loss in his right eye. He's already told me he's "not wearing glasses". Fine, dude. Wear contacts. Just see clearly.

He also has an EMG set up for his left leg after Christmas to determine to what point his peroneal nerve may have healed, and what part is left. This is the really fun test where they stick needles in you , wiggle them around, and then shoot electric current through the needles to not only stimulate the nerve, but track it. Forget water boarding--just use an EMG for terrorist who won't cooperate. I watched him have his arm EMG and it was truly not so fun.

His arms, hands, and fingers all work so well you'd never know he'd been injured unless you saw his scars on the inside of his forearms and at least they match. He is still a walking miracle in my book and I think about that all the time.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Brian's crash. WOW. What a life altering event.

No comments:

Post a Comment