Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Herdin' cats


I got a call last night from one of my son's who was out at the Ranch deer hunting. It seems he's taking some friends up to the Farm on New Years Day, and is frustrated since he can't seem to get everybody on the same page. His comment was "this is just like trying to herd cats..." and I had to agree. The funniest part is, we've had this same conversation about ten times now. I have gently pointed out that doing the same thing over and over again, DOES NOT generate different results, and he gets that--intellectually. It's the self awareness and actual changing (him) part that has him stumped. I listened until I thought my ear was going to fall off and then finally said "wellll.....you could do something different, ya know". And that's when the "yes, buts" started. All the reasons they needed to do it his way. And when I nicely pointed that out, we both were laughing. Welllll, yes, there is that.

I swear my kids keep me royally entertained. I'm sure that's probably not what he called to talk about--maybe it was since he knows I'll try to listen if he needs to talk. I reminded him not to stand in the middle of a cold rushing stream and try to force it to flow the other way, just because he thinks it should flow the other way. Reality check here: you're going to get real cold and miserable, not to mention exhausted, if you try it. (Ditto trying to herd those cats.) Accept that's just how this river flows and go do something else. Go be of service. Help an old lady with her groceries. Clean out your closet and give your old clothes to a homeless shelter. Go pester your Uncle John since he's out there with you and deserves it.
Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment