Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Roll update

I'm still not so sure about the yeast I used though I did check to see if maybe it was Rapid Rise. It wasn't. I made up a pan of rolls for my favorite nephews on Bruce's side. FYI: they are the only other boys besides ours so they can be my favorites with no hurt feelings. I plopped said pan high atop the freezer for it's four house snooze. Around 4pm I preheated the oven and checked the rolls. Goooooood night....they rose up to touch the foil covering them so, off came the foil and into the 350 degree oven they went. I don't remember having rolls rise like that before but whatever.
I don't know what it is but these just looked different, too. And they took a tad bit longer to cook--to get that nice even lovely light brown color that just flat says "pass the butter". Anyway, since I wasn't sure how they'd taste, I was forced to try one. You can't send weird rolls to your nephews. And that's when the trouble started. I slathered butter on the first one--hot and slightly crusty around the edges and soft and tender in the middle. Since I still wasn't 100% positive, I offered one to my yardman who'd come in for a glass of water. (And, yes, we are still blowing up leaves at our house.) I was assured that perhaps at least one or more more roll(s) should be further tested with the required slathering of butter, just to be sure these rolls were OK to give away.
Suffice it to say, the rolls never made it to my nephews. We ate some (oh, yeah), I gave some to my elderly neighbor, still hot from the oven, and then ran some to my mom, a few block away. Poof. Gone.
Sorry guys. Maybe next round.

1 comment:

  1. Okay--so I know this makes me "no longer a lurker" but I had to comment. :)You do have one more nephew on Bruce's side... grand-nephew, or second nephew once removed, or something. But regardless, he likes rolls too. Just sayin'. I even named the kid HARRIS! And he ACTS like Ned. I'll be home all day tomorrow, waiting for his batch. See you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete