Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Funeral food







Why is funeral food so tempting?? Is it the stress everyone feels or the need for comfort foods in a time of just straight up awfulness?? Or is it just the sheer volume that gets to you? Probably a little from column A, a little from column B. And the good news is, I did not eat anything except one tiny banana muffin. Oh, Lordy, it was goooooood, too. I knew if I started, all my South Beaching would fly out the window and a real pigs at the trough mentality would take over.

I enjoy seeing what different people bring. Some people are the dessert bunch--you name it--they bring it. Lemon bars, cookies, cakes---but I hang out watching for pie people. And if they have one, let's just say I tell them "here ...let me take that for you" and you can bet your waistline it's heading out the back door with me. Now the baked ham people are nice--just not real inspired. And the still warm Chile con Queso gang are my new best friends-- unless I already know them . You can bet the farm they're invited to my funeral. Along with their chicken enchilada bearing cohorts. Ohhhh, you better know it. C'mon innnnnnnnnnnn, heah.

Now, the Egghead ( smoked chicken, brisket and ribs) folks are in a class all their own. Add to that our smoked pulled pork pals and you already know where I'm sitting. With them. And pass the special BBQ sauce and smoky mustard.
All in all, funeral food can't be beat unless it's some of those grandmothery casserole looking things that are gray and weird looking. Nobody is gonna feel better after looking at, much less eating, one of those. That is just a big NOOOOOO.
I think before I die, I'm going to call all my friends and have them sign up to bring my favorite things that they make. The only way they'll get out of it is to die before me. And they better not.

No comments:

Post a Comment