Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Garden update

I needed a fresh air break so I hiked up to the patch to see how things were and on the way, I was surprised at how much I missed my little patch of dirt. I am thrilled to report we have two whole squash plants, lots (maybe 6 or so) of bush bean plants and net zero pole beans that someone else I know planted. I had to laugh and his only saving grace is another guy doesn't have any either, despite his little marker stating that's where they should be. Our tomatoes look good and so does the parsley and whatever flowers that have decided to come up, are giving it a try. I just can't tell what they are going to be yet.
And that fresh air I was hoping for? Well, if you don't mind the smell of fresh black top, you might have enjoyed it. The breeze is still lovely and sitting up there in the chairs, minus the tar smell, is just dandy. All you need is an big tall iced tea and a hammock, and you are set for the afternoon.

But since they just resurfaced the church parking lot, man, oh, man...it's a smeller. I watered and high tailed it back home but not before I did a little "service work". The guy who REALLY knows what he's doing has plants that are just blowing out of the ground. But some of his tomatoes are growing so fast, their arms/ stems are growing outside the supports so I did a little repositioning. Some of the branches are the circumference of my fingers so it takes a little doin'. His two sunflower plants are already almost taller than me and while that may not be tall to some of you, being eye to eye with a plant is a little strange. A little too Rocky Horror Picture Show for me. I'm also struggling with wanting to water other people's plots whose plants look really thirsty even though that's a "boundary" I probably need to respect. Oh, life.

One of my favorite people in the world will be here tonight. None other than Santos Velez, my tree trimmer man extraordinaire. NO ONE else is allowed to touch our trees--only Santos-- and it's sooo time for a trim I can hardly wait. He and his guys put on the harnesses and belts and climb so high up in our trees, sometimes I have to go inside--I just can't watch. Freaks me out completely. Tonight I'm planning to man my post on the front porch (Adirondack chair with a red back pillow) until they get up higher than I can handle. When that happens, I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment