It's my annual holiday " Things I know Today " that I've either fought hard to learn or given myself permission to do, whether it makes other people happy or not. So, here goes.
1. Today I know putting on my lipstick in the dining room of a certain ladies club, at a Christmas tea, may upset some of the older "old school" ladies, but it damn sure won't kill 'um. It's 2012, ladies. Lots worse things can and will, happen. ( Luckily this did not happen to me or I'd have taken my lipstick back out and re-applied, s-l-o-w-l-y.)
2. Today I know homemade doesn't have to mean I made it. Putting it a container I bought or wrapping it with my cellophane takes care of all that. Nobody really cares anyway.
3. Today I know some people just aren't capable of being very happy. Don't make it about yourself. It's not.
4. Today I know happiness is an inside job and my responsibility. It's not someone else's job to make me happy.
5. Today I know Christmas is just one day, but can be celebrated on any day. Don't get confused about what's really important.
6. Today I know to protect my energy zealously around this time of year.
7. Today I know anything that drains me or sucks my energy I either stop doing completely, or only do occasionally, and then I pick and choose those times carefully. I'm an adult. I can choose. ( If you needed permission to quit doing something, you just got it.)
8. Today I know just because I think it, doesn't make it true. I might be right; I might not.
9. Today I know just because I feel it doesn't make it true, either. Feelings aren't facts.
10. Lastly, today I know to let go or be dragged.
And that's just how I see it.