Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Facing my fear

Today is Be a Big Girl day.  I decided to face my fear of heights and make myself ride the Silver Queen lift all the freaking way to the top, and then ride it back down.  Alone.  If my sons are reading this BOTH of them are laughing (because they know me), and one of them knows exactly how I feel.  I'm not saying who is who, but they know, and the one that hates heights as much as I do is probably shaking his head and rolling his eyes. 

I did it and I wore my big girl panties, too.  I haven't ridden a ski lift in at least 15 years so while Fred was off on a hike, I decided it was time to feel the fear and do it anyway.  Holy, moly.  The first part was fine.  Gorgeous scenery, loads of purple, white and yellow wild flowers.  All good.  And then the lift stopped.  I knew they were probably loading either older folks, babies, or mountain bikes so even that didn't rattle me too bad.  And then I saw phase 2 of the incline.  Practically straight up.  As in rocket launch straight up.   So, I decided the only thing to do was pull out my iphone and take pictures.  I figured my brain can't register two things at once so I started snapping pictures and looking at the people riding the lift back down.  It's also called DISTRACTION but whatev.

It worked, I had a blast, and even coming in for a landing wasn't too bad.  Unfortunately, there was no one in the seats ahead of me to watch so I could see exactly when to raise the quad lift bar so I just rolled with it.  When I got even with the sign that said to get your gear ready, I raised my bar, scooted in, stood up, and hauled my tail out of there, as my quad seat turned the corner.  Piece of cake, baby.

The best news is, I apparently am not the only person terrified of heights or even chair lifts.  One gal said she burst into tears half way up and people she didn't even know, seated with her, comforted her.  Another girl wouldn't even get on.  Period.  No way.  Not enough money in the world.

I can't wait to tell Fred.  He will laugh hysterically.  He might even do the donkey bray laugh.  Fine.  Wait til he's afraid of something. 



No comments:

Post a Comment