Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pot Roast and Lamott

I just finished putting my pot roast in the oven so I am taking five with a fresh cup o' joe.  Nothing says Fall like a yummy pot roast.  The meat all peppered up and seared, the veggies all lightly browned in a little EVOO--even the baby, blue, creamer potatoes.  Oh, yeah, baby.  Now that's living.  I like to deglaze my empty pan with some red wine, boil off the alcohol as I scrape off the flavorful bits at the bottom of the pan, and then pour in some beef broth.  Throw in your fresh rosemary and thyme twigs and then reload your pan with the meat, topped with your carrots, potatoes, and onions, poke it all, covered, in a 300 degree oven, and commence reading your newspaper.  You have worked hard so chillax.

Now, I'm not sure how I haven't read any of Anne Lamott's books up until now, but let's just say I am hooked.  Big time.  I may need rehab for her work when I finish all her books.  She is spiritual, irreverent, brilliant, honest to the bone, quirky, funny as hell, all with an ability to see and write like no one I have EVER encountered.  She can articulate things I feel but have never been able to put into words and then is laugh out loud funny as she tells it.  Her books came highly recommended by a good friend and boy, howdy, does Lamott ever resonate with me.  Last night I laughed until I had the wheezies.  (You will need your inhaler if you have asthma and possibly the occasional Kleenex, depending on you.) This gal so gets it and man, does she ever love hard.  I can so relate.

I just looked at my book and realized I had underlined almost every single page.  I didn't hi-lite because sometimes they bleed through the page, I get pissed, I like certain hi-liters and not others, I like certain hi-liter colors and not others....you get the drift.  Anyway, if you are in need of salve for your soul and for someone who tells it like it is, and then leaves you laughing, grab one of her books.  Her work is the spiritual antidote for a world gone mad.

                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment