Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter! What's for lunch?

The day is finally here and I can shout Happy Easter to all.  I just saw on the Internet the picture of Easter Mass at the Vatican, and it just gave me chills.  What a gorgeous site and fabulous memory.  Several years ago, Fred and I were in Rome on Easter morning, on our first day of a two week vacation and his first trip "abroad".  Being the tactile sort that he is, he kept wanting to touch everything and nearly got us in trouble numerous times, in museums.  The best was when the touring person had no sooner asked that we NOT make flash photo's, and Fred fired one off.  I liketa d-i-e-d.  I ducked behind some people and pretended I didn't know who he was, for the rest of the museum tour.  I can't even blame jet lag on that one.  Nope.  That's just Fred.

Since it's Easter, let's talk about food since everyone will be acting like pigs at the trough today...you know they will.  I have decided to just do what I want and will shortly go in to season my gorgeous boneless leg of lamb that I snagged at Kuby's.  No more of that Tom Thumb lamb.  I'm just not gonna do that and especially not for a celebration lunch.  I have snipped my fresh rosemary from outside the back door, will sliver my garlic to insert into the meat, will mix my salt, pepper, garlic salt, rosemary and let it all get friendly while I give the lamb a nice slather of EVOO.(extra virgin olive oil for the non-cooks)  Them on goes the yummy coating and it can sit for a second until my oven gets  hotter than a hot flash.  Then, in it all goes, and I crank down my oven temp.  I'll also stick in my digital meat thermometer and set it, so after that, it's cruise control for me.  I have twice baked potatoes for Fred and Brian (Kuby's also) since I could possibly gain weight by just handling a potato, and my tomatoes Brook Hollow will be ready to go into the oven a few minutes before Fred get's back from choir.  I've also made fresh yellow squash casserole, with onion, seasonings, and a little cheese-- cheddar and Monterrey jack  on top, because it's EASTER and it's 2% fat cheese. ( The tomatoes and squash I am making in a legal version for myself .)

Brian will get green beans most likely, since squash and a marinated tomato with an artichoke heart on top, and bread crumbs, may not be his speed.  Knowing him, he'll probably give the tomato a shot--the squash?  Uh, nooooo.  I have "homemade" Sister Schubert rolls just waiting to hop into the oven and then be slathered in butter, and for dessert....I ran to Creme de la Cookie and bought two different kinds of coma inducing cup cakes --The Choc-Choc and the Red Velvet ones with the white icing.  I knew not to make anything here or I'd wind up in huge trouble--whatever cupcakes are left will go home with Brian, to be snarfed later, lying on his couch watching TV.  If I have time, I'll make a "legal" dessert for me, since I bought all the gear for it yesterday.  It's the South Beach Chilled Espresso Custard and is delish and most of all, legal.  I'm going to leave the cupcake decision until after lunch and just see where I am.  May the force be with me. 

Get a load of these Egg hunters and petting zoo-ers.  Soo cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment