Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, April 25, 2011

No phone? No problem

We ran by yesterday after lunch for a quick visit with mom and to finish cleaning out her old space.  Let's just say someone was not particularly happy about her new digs, due to the noise and general adjustment.  It was clear she was a little scared, and mad her phone didn't work.  Her phone service has to be transferred over to her new room and luckily, that's not something I thought about, or I might have done it.  Thank goodness I didn't, as it seems she would have been calling both my sister and me, telling us she HATES her new space.  You know....sometimes it seems to me God protects me from just that kind of event, by not letting me know or remember something has to be done.  Now that I know, I'm gonna drag... my.... feet.... about getting this done, so as to give her a little more time to settle in.  In fact, I'm thinking Friday might be a nice day for her phone service to actually kick to life.  Any sooner, and I'm likely to get an ear full of what I already heard yesterday. 

It's not her room that she doesn't like--it's "the people"--and she said she "only knows one person".  Same story we got when we moved her in to the other side a year ago.  Within a few weeks, all "those people" were her new best friends.  And, sometimes it's loud--and, she's right.  Sometimes it is.  People with Alzheimer's yell sometimes, and even bang on doors occasionally.  Alzheimer's is not a pretty disease.

Clearly, the Alzheimer unit may prove to be a challenging adjustment for her, but once she gets accustomed to it, hopefully, she'll relax.  She's had a lot to adjust to in a short amount of time so I may make myself scarce for a few days.  Hey...there's no reason to walk into a gunfight if you don't have to, and I don't have to, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment