Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Random caller

This morning I got a wonderful surprise.  While I was in the kitchen, my phone rang and my caller ID said it was one of my nieces so, of course, I answered it, and said "What's up?"  For a few seconds there was no response, so I said "Nic?" and that's when a squeaky little girl voice said "AC!", and I couldn't help but laugh.  I said "Had, is that you?" and off she went jabbering and telling me all kinds of stuff most of which I missed--some of it I caught-- some of it flew right over my head.

We yickety-yakked for quite awhile and then I asked to speak to Hudson, and was told he was upstairs watching TV, so I told her to go call him, and honey, she did.  Next thing I know, he and I are gabbing and he's telling me about the show he's watching.  According to Nicole, their mom, Hadley (3), had gotten Nicole's cell, and just decided to call somebody, and since I am loaded in her phone as AC (Aunt Caroline), she must have just punched me, and then I answered.  I couldn't wait to tell my sister that Had had called me on her mom's cell this morning, all by herself, knowing that my sister would scream out laughing.  At first, I'm not sure she believed me, but when I told her more about it, and it sounded just like something Had would do, she knew I wasn't making it up.

Then at lunch, Fred and I went somewhere we don't usually go on Saturday, and after placing my order, I turned around looking for a table.  I saw a family at a table with this little girl who was grinning at me, waving her arm, while everyone else had their back to me, except an additional lady sitting with them, that I didn't recognize.  Anywho, this little girl and I locked eyes, as I spilled my tea, laughing, and she kept grinning, and yelling "AC, AC, AC!!"  By now, I am a huge puddle of melting butter, and can't wait to go over to kiss her, Hudson, and baby Avery, and tell their mom and dad "hi", and Megan, who I didn't remember. (Fred would never admit it, but he thinks the kids are adorable, too....you can tell by the way he watches them and how he smiles-- a total dead giveaway, and he thinks I can't tell. Whatever, Fred.

Had was still smiling ear to ear, as if this was just THE GREATEST event ever, as she snarfed her lunch.  Baby Avery was not nearly as glad to see me...she always acts like I'm the dog catcher or a kidnapper, until she finally decides I'm really OK after all.  Shoot...that's progress...she used to just scream.  She's still so little that I need to cut her some slack here....she's just got that stranger anxiety thing going on and once she decides I'm OK, I'm as good as in.  It's just the getting there that sometimes takes a little while.  Hud was a quiet mouse, as his feelings had been hurt before we got there, and he wasn't feeling too social.  I could certainly understand that.

As we headed out after lunch, and after telling everyone goodbye, Avery told me "Bye, Eee-ya".  Eee-ya is their maid that Avery adores (all the kids do), so I was thrilled to be called "Eee-ya" ---even when I found out she calls everyone Eee-ya.  I can live with that. 

                                                                    

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! If I wasn't reading it at work I would be laughing like crazy....kids do the darndest things ;)

    ReplyDelete