Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cheaters broth

Yesterday I did an experiment to see if homemade cheater's broth really makes a difference taste wise or if it's just a bunch of hooey.  I got out my Splendid Table cookbook, doubled the recipe figuring if it really is all that much better, I'd use it for the Tuscan Tomato soup recipe they have, and fix that for dinner.  Any cookbook that advertises cheating immediately goes to the top of my list.  Welllllllll...let's just say there is no question that it is head and shoulders above any old Swanson's, Kitchen Basics, etc. broth.  Yeah, it takes a little more time but for the taste, it's worth it.  Since I doubled it, I put the leftover recipe in the freezer to use in my Thanksgiving dressing.  I noticed in the same cookbook, they even have a recipe for cheaters mole and though I'm not a huge mole fan, I may have to make it and let Senora Maria see what she thinks.  She's my cooking partner extraordinaire.  If I find something that's good, I always make her a copy of the recipe on the scanner.  Mole??   I doubt she'll need a recipe for that.

Once I got my Tuscan Tomato soup made, I decided it just had to have croutons.  Since I'd just run to Eatzi's for bread, I took a few slices of Rustic Multi grain bread, cubed it up, drizzled it with olive oil, salt and pepper and some garlic, and slid it in a 350 degree oven for 10 or so minutes until crispy all the way through.  Who knew a lowly crouton could taste... so... good.  The cookbook authors said you can put homemade croutons on anything, and kids will eat it.  I believe it.

I've started my Christmas and birthday list because every year I get in trouble when I can't think of things I really want.  Under holiday shopping pressure for others, I just go blank, on me. As of yesterday, I already have 5 things down and they are all either cooking gadgets or cookbooks.  Thank you, Sur la Table and W-S catalogs for making life easy this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment