Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, November 6, 2011

A local turkey

OK...so I'm having a design breakdown.  I can't quite get this thing like I want it and I finally threw in the towel--at least for today anyway.  I'll keep trying new stuff until I get it like I want it or you all email me to tell me you're going blind from all my choices.  This site has a new program I am trying to learn so in the meantime slap on your shades if necessary and buckle up, because I'm sure there are numerous goofs to come that will entertain you and leave you shaking your head as to why, why, why is she still goofing with this damn thing.  Because I just am.  If I can't knock down my house right now and re-do it, I'm going to have to re-do something, and this seemed like a natural fit. 

Among other quandaries I have decided this weekend, I will once again be brining my turkey because it's just worth it and....I'm going to throw down a la fellow Big Green Egg owners, and cook it on mine.  I went online to google recipes and I must say the BGE cooked turkey's look awfully dark (shoot...they almost looked burnt to me) but the word is, that's just the smoke that darkens them, just like it darkens a brisket.  Not only am I going to brine that unlucky bird, but one BGE cook said to air dry it in the refrigerator for 12 hours after brining, to allow the skin to dry, so I think I'll try that, too.  The post online said as the bird cooks, the dry skin becomes golden and crispy and the meat stays moist, due to the brining.  Well, allrighty then.

My mission now is to go give my old BGE gal a clean out and make sure she's not plugged up with ashes.  That's the super big no-no that will cause you all kinds of temp control problems.  I just can't have that.  Nooo, sirrrree.  So I'm just not.  Lord, sakes...  I'm not going to know what to do with myself having my oven free-- and my turkey outside. 

Lastly, I'm going local this year and buying my turkey from a grower in the area, via Whole Foods.  My turkey is a Natures Rancher from Hillview Farms in Buckholtz, Texas.  That's somewhere in central Texas, Milam County, with a population of 395.  187 males and 208 females--people, not turkeys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment