Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dove: the only good one, is a cooked one

True to form and the first days of opening season, two out of three Harris males from our family are at the Farm playing war games with small birds.  And may the force be with them.  Nothing says Fall like a freezer full of dove and wood in the wood rack.  Though I gave it a good shot, I didn't manage to burn all of our wood from last year so I am probably set for this year.  Once it cools down a tad more, I'll finish filling up the wood ring by the back door, so I'm just steps from pyromania heaven.  And, truth be told, I'll no doubt do my fire pit on the driveway again, just because I can. 

The great white hunter says no birds yet--we are texting back and forth.  The birds got annihilated on opening day by another Harris and some guests, so they may be laying low.  Wouldn't you??  Dang....I would.  They may also be back in the trees in the back pasture and if they are, they aren't coming out.  They're there for the night, so you might as well find another spot.  It's awful early for that to be the case, so I'm hoping they start flying in soon.  I just texted Fred and said if there aren't any, there's one in the backyard and it made him nuts.  He just texted back that that one is next.  And he isn't kidding.  He and Mr. Pellet gun shoot dove year round but I don't think he lets Sis retrieve dove.  Squirrels, yes, but dove she might eat.  Too delicious to risk.

I have a smothered dove recipe that Fred makes ten times better than I do, or at least that's what I tell him.  Heck...I'm not stupid.  If it gets him cooking, fine by me, but he really does make it better than I do.  He texted he just got one. Looks like the war has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment