Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Intuition on target

Dang.  My intuition was right.  No party this year for Halloween and I had to go to the dermatologist to find this out.  Seriously, I did.  While waiting in her office, in walked one of my nabes (neighbors) from down our block, so I got the full skinny.  Not only is there not going to be a party, but Cyrena sold her house to the guy next door, and he moved his elderly mom into Cyrena's old house.  Sure explains why I haven't seen Cyrena in a while.  It's also clear I need to stop pulling out the back way down our driveway and go down the front of our block, since I am missing out on all the block doings.  If it weren't for my trip to the dermo, I'd still be in the dark.  Another couple had volunteered their yard for the party but Cyrena couldn't decide whether she wanted to do it again, and by the time she decided, they'd made other plans.  Oh, well....a little Halloween candy and I'll be OK.

I just threw together my favorite quiche recipe and it's in the oven doing what quiche does, getting all custardy and deeelish.  The recipe says to put the green onions, the green chilies, the sliced ham/Canadian bacon/bacon (use what you've got), and cheese in layers but I've developed my own cut to the chase method that puts 1/2 of the cheese on the bottom, then I mix up all the other stuff and spoon it in the partially baked pie crust, throw on the rest of the cheese, and then on goes the egg, milk, pickled jalapeno, salt and pepper mixture that you whir up in the blender, and pour on.  Into the oven and up go your feet, for a nice little break.  A fruit salad or a green salad and honey, you are done.   It's even good nuked the next day for lunch, assuming there's any left.  Even the boys like this one so be advised.

Lastly, I tried a new biscotti recipe Sunday that was from the same cookbook as my favorite one--one of their alternatives, with pistachios nuts (green colored) and golden raisins.  At first, I was really underwhelmed.  Not near as good as their first one I made but ....this one grew on me.  And Fred, too.  It's only Tuesday and that biscotti is history.  Sure was good this morning with my coffee and I'm sure going to miss it tomorrow. Waaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment