Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ouch!

Yesterday I got the dreaded phone call.  The one where they told me mom needed someone to come with her, to get her hair done.  I had called them Tuesday to check something out and the Receptionist said things were OK.  No hint that we were there yet.  But after her appointment yesterday, they called and said she was a falling risk, and that did it for me.  Of course she's a falling risk...no question about it and I totally understood where they were coming from--it still just didn't make that news feel good.  Further down the tubes we go.

So, late yesterday afternoon, I made a quick call to the big Salon at The Edge, as we now call it.  It was 5:15pm so I figured I'd just leave a message.  Nope...it was even better than I expected.  Jennifer, the wonderful gal who had just recently done mom's hair answered, I recognized her voice, and told her what I needed.  DONE.  Standing appointments set up?  Yep.  Nails and pedi's arranged?  You betcha.  Even a facial and waxing if she wants it.  WOW....I cannot stress the relief I felt and kindness they showed both mom and me.  We got it set up for them to be paid weekly, as she uses them, and afterwards, I sat back stunned.  Boy, if you think there's not a God out there looking after you, ya might want to look more closely.  When I called my sister to report what had happened, she got really quiet and said "well...God's been busy, hasn't He?"

I realize hair appointments aren't a huge deal on most people's list of important matters, but it is on mine, where mom is concerned.  It's a quality of life issue and I don't know a woman alive who doesn't feel wonderful after getting her hair and nails done.  I just chatted with the Assisted Living desk at the Plaza and told them what I needed: someone to walk mom over to her appointment and walk her back afterwards.  It's close by where she is, but involves using a door with a code and I know that won't work with mom on her own.  Again I was told, "Sure...we can do that".  I hate to sound like a big weenie but when I hung up, I  almost cried.  Mom is just going down hill FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment