Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Naps

Naps are possibly the most underrated restorative activity there is.  Just the sheer act of surrender makes me relax but somehow to do it right, when I am feeling less than great, the act of actually putting on my pj's and crawling between the sheets, takes a nap to a whole different level.  Snoozing on top of my coverlet, with a soft quilt or blanket just says, I'm tired.  Putting on the pj's is serious napping....the I don't feel so great and my wheels are coming off type nap. Either one is fine and both work, but somehow the pj's under the covers nap is the one that makes me appreciate how my body actually works, and how it repairs and restores itself, if I'll just do what it's telling me to do.

I used to just keep on pushing on and on when I was working, because the unwritten rule at the hospital was, be a martyr.  Nobody would ever cop to that, if asked, but you just knew what you knew.  It was fun to sit back and listen to people (especially Managers) tell their sad tales of woe.  As a Supervisor, I always wanted to sneak over to one of the On Call rooms and take a nap--especially right after lunch.  I can't help but think the work force today would be loads healthier and less sleep deprived if we could nap at work.  Someday in the near future we will--California's been doing it for eons---we're just s-l-o-w to the party, as usual.

Now, I don't know about you but napping for me needs to occur in a dimly lit room--no bright sunlight--soft fluffy pillows that are mine, and familiar.  I like my sleepmate sound machine on high to combat any barking, hammering, or Tejano music and singing of workers near by.  That accomplished, I may need to read for a few minutes or, just give it all up and close my eyes.  I'm like a big old toddler...give me an hour to an hour and a half nap, and my engines are roaring again ready to go.  I figure if it's good enough for my dogs, and they are World Class Nappers, there's something there for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment