Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Casting--my way

I have a favorite Foodie blog I subscribe to where the author until recently had not been pictured--at least not as long as I've been reading.  His name is David Lebovitz and he's a professional chef and author, whose specialty is/was desserts.  No wonder I like him.  Anyway, his posts are always fun and interesting, and from what he's said on his blog, I pictured him in my head as a tall, head full of dark dark hair, large, Jewish gay man (cause he's said that), moderately overweight, because he talks about eating as much as I do.  The other day he had a video as part of his post, in which he appeared, and he is just NOT how I cast him.  He is slight, slim, medium height, and balding (that's a nice way of saying it).  Whaaat?

Now that I've actually seen him, I can no longer go back to my imagined fat friend.  I HATE that.  It's not that I don't like the way he looks in reality--he's absolutely fine--it's just that I had him all imagined in my head.  Which brings me nicely to books.  When you read, do you read the descriptions of characters and if you don't like it or it doesn't seem to fit, do you change it in your mind?  I do.  And I realized I've been doing it since childhood.  When I read Gone With the Wind, Scarlett was not brunette--she was BLONDE.  I've gotten over it as an adult, and accepted that OK...she was brunette...but that was just not how I cast her.  Margaret Mitchell should have known better that any "Katie Scarlett", as her father called her, was blonde.  It just works better.  And, I feel sure sure this has to do with me, always playing the lead in any good read, but whatever. 

I do it in movies, too.  Especially if I've read the book first, if there was one.  They never...OK, perhaps seldom, cast it the way I've seen it in my head.  It's too hard to try to change it in a movie so I just go with it.
Whadaya gonna do...ask for your money back?

No comments:

Post a Comment