Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, March 28, 2011

What a weekend!!

Whew!  Busy, exciting weekend.  The chicken enchiladas I had planned to make for Dit, my niece, and Brian, are still in "thinking about it" mode in the refrig.  By late yesterday afternoon, I was showered and back in my pj's and happy to be there.  The enchiladas will get made today...at some point... probably while Senora Maria is here ironing, so we can gab and catch up on each others news.  She's gonna freak over Benji's...I can hardly wait! 

I went by Saturday to see mom and once again, could not find her.  Even though I knew it was a Hair Hut day, it was almost 1:30pm and she goes at 10:30 am.  Jeepers!  She doesn't have that much hair, so I called over to the Salon, and sure enough she was on her way back.  As she was coming down the hall with her walker, I went to meet her, and told her she'd sure been gone a long time.  Without a blink she told me she'd had a lot of "maintenance work" done --the works--waxing, eyebrows tinted, hair, nails, and that on Saturday, an overhaul like that takes time.  I howled.  Clearly she was having a good day and it was about to get even better.

  Since she'd also missed lunch, they'd sent her back with her's, so while she got all settled on her sofa, I heated up her lunch.  I let her eat before I dropped Benji's bomb, knowing if I didn't, she'd never eat.  She got so excited she cried, and then we laughed, and decided to call his bad old self, so she could congratulate him.  (Kleenex alert:  I might cry on this next part so don't say I didn't warn you).  I dialed his cell and when he answered, I told Benji I was putting Babe (that's what all her grandkids call her) on the phone.  She got on and said everything you'd want your grandmother to say to you, if you've just gotten engaged...how much she loves you and the girl you've chosen...how she can't wait for the wedding....how excited she is for you both...how exquisite the ring is...  I stood back freezing this moment in my brain thanking God mom was alert enough to participate in this conversation, and know what was going on.  She even asked who was going to be his best man and was told "Babe...I've only been engaged 12 hours.....I don't know yet", and they both laughed. For me, it was poignant in the extreme....two new lives joining and beginning, as hers slips away. I was so glad I got to witness this firsthand, as it's a memory I will treasure forever.  Mom looking beautiful, and being present, for another family event...what a gift.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this post, Caroline. What a sweet moment for you to remember forever. So happy for y'all and Benji!

    ReplyDelete