Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fall of Giants

I think I'm  getting a little snarky about FB.  First I was hatin' on it and now it's settled into just a recurring grrrr.  It's always the same people commenting and I'm a little bit picky about who I friend and who I don't.  For me, FB is not about having as many friends as I can possibly have on my page...for me it's a short cut to knowing what some people are up to that I hardly ever see.  People who I still adore and make me laugh long distance.  Guess I'm "choicey" like that, as one of our old maids used to say.  The reality is, not everyone feels like I do, and are clearly not my age, either.  Well, yeah...there is that.....

And now FB has this privacy thing where I have to put in an additional password on my own computer, to be sure it's me.  And then I get an email telling me I've just been on my own page...  I know it's to prevent hackers and I do appreciate that part.  It just feels a tad bit redundant.

I just finished a killer new novel by Ken Follet that is the first one in his new Century Trilogy, and this one is called Fall OF Giants.  It's a whopping 985 pages and it set back in the early 1900's and goes through World War 1.  Now, I'm not saying I'm a war gal at all, but the characters are all really well developed and the back stories on everyone are intriguing.  The war stuff does go on for a while, but then so did WW1, and he intersperses all kinds of family drama and love affairs, so it's never boring .  Book 2 is not out yet and that's the big bummer.  It won't be out until 2012, and will surround the children of the people in FoG--a real generational saga--so you know there's going to be lots of dirt in that one. I can hardly wait.

If you've never read any Ken Follet, you have missed out on a golden opportunity.  Pillars of the Earth and World Without End (the prequel to PotE) are two of my most favorite all time reads.  If you decide to read any or all three of these, prepare to go underground for awhile, like a mole...you will not be able to put them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment