Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I just don't get it

I am going somewhere I thought I'd never go, but I just have to.  What is the fixation we seem to have these days with dog poop?  And why do we have to pick it up, when walking your pet in your neighborhood?  I realize a lot of people have pets but don't most pets poop on grass, and doesn't it eventually break down via the sprinklers, sun, etc.?   Why do we have to use a bag to pick up poop, still hot off the press ?  Can't it just stay where it was left?  If you have never picked up warm dog poop in an inside out bag so it all goes in, and none gets on you, and then tried to carry it for any length of time, you will only do it once.  It's just nasty.

Now, if it's downtown or in a shopping area, I get that.  This isn't France where dogs just poop right outside a Bistro and the owners keep walking.  I'm talking neighborhoods and parks.  Frankly, I think every kid needs to step in dog poop at least once, barefoot in the summer, and with shoes on, ocassionally, just to become a bona fide kid.  Dog poop on your shoe never killed anyone that I'm aware of and it's just a right of passage ....everyone needs to be able to experience and understand what it's like, and be able to laugh and go "ohhh, yeah".  A shared experience where we can all connect, if you will.  And the barefoot experience?  You missed a vital part of childhood if you never had to wash your bare foot off, poop between your toes, in a hose, while all your siblings or pals laughed their heads off. And if you are an adult, and you have to mow poop ocassionally, it's no biggie.  I've done it-- and if it's fresh, you get a stick and just flick it.  Biiiig deal.

I know some people get crazy at the thought of poop in their yard.  Why?  I guarantee it's not the only poop in their yard.  Birds, squirrels, and cats, all poop in their yard, and we don't pick up theirs?  How come  they all get a free "poop pass", and dog's don't?  And those little" no pooping here" signs, with a dog on them, in yards that are anti poop?  You can put out one of those, but I wouldn't.  It might make people target your yard.  :)

P. S.  I just checked, and there are even yard signs saying "no tinkling", too....now that's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment