Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ridin' that Emotional Roller Coaster

Shooweee...that emotional roller coaster's got more twists and turns than the Texas Giant.  Sunday, mom took yet another face plant in her bathroom, right as my sister and I were walking in the door, and she still had her heat on, set at 80 degrees.  OMG...can you say sweat lodge because it was one.  If I'd have hot flashed, we'd have had Texas's first tsunami.  Once we got her cleaned up and fixed up, the heat off, and the cool on, I switched out her heavy clothes for her lighter ones, from her storage unit.  At that point, my sister and I were spent.  She cried on her way home, and I just went home and spewed my guts to Fred.  Thank God he'll listen, and even though I give him the edited, abbreviated version, you can tell he's still shocked.  Me, too.

My sister and I were on a mission Sunday to ask mom some of those weird end of life questions that we realized we didn't know the answers to, or at least weren't sure we did.  We were down to just the "what kind of flowers, what places for donations, etc.", since the rest is all done.  Needless to say, that didn't happen Sunday, so my mission today was to ask all that, and I did.  As I had anticipated, she doesn't want us to get her ashes back after donating her body to Southwestern's Willed Body program, thank goodness, and her response to most of the questions, I was fairly sure already knew--  she doesn't care.  When I asked her who she wanted to do her service, she said, and I quote, "Well...how about you and Gretty and David.." to which I hooted.  Clearly, she didn't understand what I meant, and when I clarified, she popped right out with who she wanted.  Oh, hell yeah...she's still in there somewhere

But I think my most favorite part was when I asked her what kind of flowers she'd like on the altar, and she answered "umm...whatever...". Then I asked her what were some of her most favorite flowers.  When she said "well, now...you know I love lilies", I almost lost it.  No, I did not know that.  I asked "white ones?" and she said "YES....those are my most favorite".  I made it to my car before I got teary ....white lilies are my most favorite, too.

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. My mom is in the depths of Alzheimer's, and I certainly relate to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Julie, I'm so sorry about your mom. It's some ride, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete