Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Well, Hellooooo, Mary Kay

This weekend has been one hilarious caper after another.  Some I can mention, some I can't.  Just know they were all funny.  Andrea's shower was a blast at the Adolphus, and if you've never had High Tea, wait until the weather gets chilly and go do it.  Even grab your mom and her posse, and go as a treat, as my sister-in-law, Margie, suggested.  Just go.

When I arrived downtown for Andrea's shower, an entire Mary Kay cosmetics convention was trying to check out, and load up on shuttles to DFW.  It appeared to be predominantly black ladies, dressed to the nines, and some even wearing their MK tiaras from an earlier celebration.  Can I even tell you how funny that many black ladies are, en mass, when they're all pumped up a la Mary Kay??  They were all hollering and laughing, hugging and squeezing, and just having a ball.  I will say it did make for an interesting Valet parking experience trying to navigate between shuttle buses, but the floor show was well worth it.  Multiply this actual Mary Kay pic times a couple of hundred, and you'll get the idea.

Louis, the Tea Steward, had chosen three different teas to go with each course of the tea, but you could pick a different one, if your group wanted.  My foursome went with Louis's suggestions, and we were not disappointed.  Over all, the very last tea, the Adolphus's signature tea, a Pear and Caramel, turned out to be our groups hands down favorite.  My sister queried Louis and found it's available at Whole Foods, if you are a tea lover and want to try it.  The tiny tea sandwiches were lovely, but the scones with jam and clotted cream were by far my most favorite.  The itty bitty tarts, chocolate eclairs, and lemon curd pyramid do-dad things were lovely as well, but I could eat another scone right this minute.

Because I was having a total blonde moment, I forgot to bring Andrea's two shower gifts in my car, but remembered half way down Central.  Rather than go all the way back home, I called Brian, who was already at our house, to see if he might rescue me, and bring them downtown.  Let me just say, he is the very BEST thing in the world to his momma, and the look on his face was priceless when he saw that many black ladies all whooping it up, as he was trying to get the gifts out of his truck, on a busy downtown street.  Man....I owe him BIG for that one.

All in all, it was a fast and furious weekend, and Benji and Andrea are on their way back to Nash with a car load of wonderful shower gifts, to enjoy together.  Sort of.  Benji told me over the weekend he thought it was lousy he didn't get to fill out a Wedding Registry for himself.  He said none of those gifts are his kind of stuff.  He wanted to put electric guitars on his.  Or a big screen TV.    :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it. I especially love that the Tea Steward introduced himself as the "Tea Captain". My table got quite a kick out of that.

    And ooooh mio Benito, haha who has the audacity to put a big screen TV and guitars on a wedding registry? I do feel a little bad though. The only place to register that's "manly" is say Lowe's or Home Depot. However, the only thing I can think of that he'd get excited about there is a grill (and we already have one). Ah well, I just have to remind him we BOTH use the kitchen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, what a sweet future brother-in-law I have.

    ReplyDelete