I've got a new motto and here it is: Live life like you mean it. No cutting corners on joy, fun, and things that fill you up. Make sure you have a majority of those things in your day, especially if your job sucks and life isn't going your way. Here are a few of my thoughts:
1. If life's dealing you a crummy hand at the moment, go outside. Look around. You will see simple beautiful abundance if you look for it.
2. Nothing lasts forever so chill. If it's bad, it's going to leave eventually and ditto even if it's good. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reason for either one. Everything would just be the same. And very boring.
3. Be childlike. Watch the joy and wonder small people find in the simplest things. Flowers, a puppy, ants. Act like they do. It's fun and the stress drops right off of you.
4. Laugh often. Read authors that make you smile and laugh. Call the funniest friend you have and tell them you need a good laugh. Call your hairdresser. They are always hilarious.
5. Wear clothes you like. Be original and most of all, be comfortable. If Vogue hasn't called you for a photo shoot, does it really matter? Hell, no.
6. Rescue an animal, feed the birds, or even better, the ducks. Watch for the fish and turtles that come, too.
7. Live simply. You already have everything you need today so stay out of yesterday and tomorrow.
8. Plan, but don't obsess.* * See number 7.
9. Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and cut the crust off, like you had when you were little. Eat it outside on a paper plate.
10. Play with some little kids. If you don't have any, go to a park. Ask a parent's permission first, and then don't be weird. Take a kite or other toys to share. Play.
11. Life can be rough so wear a helmet.