Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do I smell smoke?

Yesterday I had a hankering to fire up my Egg friend so I did.  I'd thawed a previously mixed bag of chicken pieces, since the men around here like dark meat and I'm mostly a white meat gal.  Then I decided as long as I was doing it, why not throw on a pork roast, too, so out that came to thaw as well.  By about 4pm as I listened to Scarletta on the radio in Clinton, Mo., I stoked up my Big Green Egg, lit that old girl, and moved on to seasoning chicken, pork, and soaking my wood chips.  With the wind from yesterday afternoon, I never had to do a single thing to get my fire ready.  No leaf blower--nuthin.

Once it was all ready, on went all that seasoned meat, down went the lid, and I set the timer for 25 minutes.  No fuss, no muss.  Then I played.  Even as much as I've used my Egg, I still cannot fathom how it stays at the same temperature once you get where you want to be--it just does.  I made a big pot of iced tea, and between the radio broadcast and puffing smoke, I was in heaven, and so was my four legged assistant.  (Here's my end result.)

After 25 or so minutes, I turned and rearranged a few pieces of the meat, shut the lid, reset the timer, and then the worst thing happened.  I could not figure out how to shut off the radio program, once Scarletta's interview was over.  No matter what I did, all I got was more KDKD.  Finally, I called Benji to find out what to punch on my phone, as he laughed his behind off.  No help.  We no longer have the same phone--I have that cool, fancy-schmancy Samsung tablet phone--the one I don't know how to work-- so he couldn't help.   Finally I just powered the whole thing off.  What's a girl to do?

Since earlier in the afternoon, I had washed all of Sis's bed fluffies and hung them out in the sun over at Mary's on her clothesline--yeah, she still has one--to air dry in the breeze, I had to go gather them up, while the smoker chuffed away.  OOO, la la.  Nothing smells as good as wind dried fluffies--except maybe smoker smoke.  To say that old bad Sister slept on her fluffies like a log last night, is a complete understatement. 

I have come to realize the only down side to smoking anything on my BGE is that whiff of apple, mesquite, hickory wood, etc. that hangs in your hair afterwards.  Sort of eau de Wood, if you will.    If you can live with that, the rest is just pure deee fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment