Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sneaky birds

I swanny...it's just always something around here.  The little birds we have in our den chimney??  They are none other than the real deal-- Chimney Swifts--protected by law, so I can't have them relocated.  I have to honor their lease for another month or so, until they head further north for the summer.  After that, you can bet your granny I'll be having my chimney cleaned and capped.  Watching them shoot down the chimney at dusk is fascinating, as long as it's not at your house.


Someone around here made a little DIY chimney cover a few years ago that he rigged out of wire, that blew off during a storm, unbeknownst to us.  Hence, out chimney guests.  If they weren't so loud I don't think it would bother me.  It will be all nice and quiet and when I walk into the kitchen and they hear me, up starts all that little bird cheeping.  Damn...they just started up and I can hear them in here. 

 This is how they hang on to the wall inside the chimneyIt looks exhausting to me, but their little feet have special little "grabbers" that help them stay attached.  Oh, goodie.


Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment