Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A new book

Oh, my stars...how could this possibly be?  I was all set to make a strawberry galette and surprise someone when he got home and for the love of all things paper, I can't find my recipe that I cut out of the DMN.  I've already gone online and searched their data base for it with zippo success so I may just have to Big Girl up and wing it.  Damn....clearly I need to get a new secretary because the one I have just isn't doing her job.  She should have scanned that thing to the recipe file and then I wouldn't be in this pickle.
                                                          

While I wait for the butter to soften a little, I have a minute to discuss my new book I started last night:  Man's Search for Meaning, by Victor Frankel.  Considering it involves his first hand experience as a Jewish psychiatrist in a Nazi prison camp, I can only handle so much at a time.  Last night he discussed how he was given a visa to get away, but would have had to leave his parents behind.  He knew he would probably die if he stayed, and wrestled with the decision of do I go, or do I stay and protect my parents, as best I'm able.  As his decision loomed, he asked his father what a particular piece of stone was...why he had it...what was it for?  His father told him it was the edge of a piece of marble off their synagogue that referred directly to "Honor thy Father and Mother".  Victor chose in that moment to stay, and he and his parents were taken away the next day. (pass the Kleenex...I liketa d-i-e-d)

The spiritual aspect of this book is what intrigues me.  People in the most awful, horrendous, terrifying experience of their lives either act with astonishing courage and compassion or turn to the dark side.  What makes some people capable of unimaginable kindness and others not, as they all fight for their survival?  Stay tuned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment