Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm Off!

I've decided to go to Europe this weekend.  Not sure where all I'm going yet but I'll decide that on Saturday.  I'm not packed either and I don't have a ticket.  No worries.  Neither are required, as I'm going with Rick Steves on his DVD series All 90 Shows.  It's all of the shows from 2000-2012, and I can stop or continue any time I want.  Frankly, this is not my first choice of the way to go--I'd actually rather pack and go, but this is not a shabby substitute and I can compile the rest of my Bucket List a la Rick.

I figure with 50 hours of travel on 14 DVD's, I should be down right knowledgeable by the time I've finished all of these.  I figure I can weed out places I don't really care about seeing....like there really would be any.  I'm sure I've already seen some of these but I'm going to just start with the first one, which is Italy, and then go in the order they are in.  Otherwise, it's just too hard to decide where to start.   Another bonus is Sis can go and since she's never been, it will be a good opportunity to see her homeland.  Germany is in the #3 slot.


Now, in case you want to know where I got these, it's KERA--my favorite channel.  With a donation during the "Begging Drive" in December, this was the gift you received.  It just arrived yesterday so I'm especially excited.  You'd think I was actually going.... I may just get out my passport and pretend.  I just don't understand people who don't like to travel.  Yes, it's a hassle sometimes and, yes, it's expensive, but what else are you going to do with your money?  Sit on it?

  I'd rather make memories and see the world.  Watching the look on friends and family faces in Italy, and traveling to get there, was just way over the top fun--not to mention just experiencing it myself.  When I look back at pictures of Brian, who had never been abroad before, it's like watching a European light bulb come on.  He later told me how much he loved it, and how he was totally overwhelmed by all of it.  Well, yeah... Capri was a mind blower-- and not a shabby place to start-- but he loved Spain, too, for the short time he was there.  Ahhhh, travel.  There's just nothing like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment