Blog Patrol Counter

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feelin' blue...go to Nicholsen-Hardie or Calloway's


Yesterday was a total gas. I went to my favorite gardening spots to soak up color and buy some plants for my friend whose husband died. I wanted to cheer up her front pots but decided I better ask before doing it. I wanted it to be an anonymous surprise but then I realized my gesture might be the last thing in the world she'd want done....like maybe the pots were the last thing her husband potted and even though he's gone, and they sure were, she might not be ready for that yet. So I emailed her. Woo hooo. Green light.
Someone had already pulled up her oh, so dead red salvia that bought it in the last freeze and stuck a big old purple cabbage, still in the original container on top of the planter. Well...ok...I guess that's a look --just not the one I was going for. So I threw my gardening gloves, spade, plant fertilizer& trash bag (hey...I'm full service here) in my trunk, and headed out to see what might work. OOOO, la la...hot pink, white and red cyclamen, pansies in every color imaginable, mini tee-tiny cabbages and kale's in purple white and pink, primroses to die for, dusty miller for fill in, ivy for a trailing effect since the pots are big and tall. I nearly stroked over all the lovelies!
I had to go with winter hardy plants since we could still have a freeze but that didn't hamper my selection at all. Add to all that a big sack of potting soil, and I was back on the road to her house.

Once back at her house, I unloaded and got to work. The sun was out, the birds were singing (OK maybe they weren't but I like the idea) and my hands were digging in the dirt. Ahhh, just a blessing even if it does get down your gloves a little. Undoubtedly, for me, the best part was it was all done in love for someone else. Yeah, no doubt it's fun to do your own pots but being of service to someone else, is the whole ball of wax for me. Could she pot her own pots eventually?? Well, of course she could, but that's not the point. It was just a little something for someone whose world just shattered. She didn't need food, was surrounded by her sisters and another gal who, so far, does not appear to know when to go home, but that's OK (and none of my business!). Right now distraction is good. And so is a little springy bright color when you're feeling lower than a snake's belly. So I placed, I rearranged, I fluffed, I added fresh soil higher, and finally gotter dun'.

I found a broom, swept up my potting soil spillage and gathered up my trash, loaded up, and headed for home ( a whopping 3 blocks away.) Windows down with the cool air blowing on me, life was just gooooooooood. And her's will be again, too--just not for quite a while. I'm hoping a little color might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment