Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Enemy

It was a rootin', tootin' weekend, with Brian and pals at the Ranch, and two less Does to worry about procreating.  They may have shot some hogs, too--not sure.  They'll pretty much shoot anything they decide needs shooting--hog, coyote, etc.  And speaking of shooting, this morning I saw something moving on the driveway by our alley, and at first glance, thought it was either two really big cats or two dogs.  Uh, noooo.  It was two enormous raccoons, walking down the alley like they owned the place.
  For a nano second, I considered letting Sis out to chase them but then remembered 1) a car might hit her zooming down the alley and 2) raccoons are meaner than a snake and she was already outnumbered.  I knew the pellet gun wasn't going to do anything but sting them, assuming I could even hit them, but then I remembered Fred's out of pellets and, I don't even know how to load it.  Well, yes, that is a problem.  Hand me an old bolt action or automatic 22, and I could have done some damage (probably to cars and windows)--and would probably have ended up calling Fred to come get me out of the UP jail, but that would be another story. Plus, by this point, those raccoons were probably over by North Park, waiting for the stores to open. 

On another note, Sis seems to have adjusted to the "loneliness of onlyness", though trash cans and the desire to shred, still tempt her.  With the weather a tad bit warmer lately, she and I can take a nice long walk that tends to blunt that desire of hers to plunder.  Just being outside and keeping her busy takes care of  99% of the problem.  She may be a wiener but she's a hunting wiener and when she gets antsy, she's gonna get in trouble.

And, lastly, if you haven't seen The King's Speech, by all means go see it.  We went yesterday and it is fan-tab-u-lous.  Collin Firth and Jeffery Rush are both amazing and you will laugh your tail off.  If you need a great novel to read, get Cutting for Stone and prepare for a wild ride.  I will be starting Ken Follet's Fall of Giants today, so I may go underground when it really grabs me.  Once it does, I'm a goner and this thing is l-o-n-g.  Just like I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment