Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Smoke is a don't

While Sis and I drink coffee together in our shared chair, I thought I'd save you some time and money and tell you to skip a trip to Oak Cliff, to try Smoke.  We went last night for Fred's birthday dinner and while it's been written up lately as a fun new place--the food has yet to catch up.  We both had ribs that looked like they'd come off of Godzilla and they were fairly good, and really tender.  They came with mac'n cheese that was just lackluster.....how in the world do you screw up mac'n cheese??  And Fred's grits were just as forgettable.  No flavor, icky texture--just random bad.  As was our appetizer--I won't even go there.

But, the dessert Fred chose was OUTSTANDING.  It was a Key lime Pie with Mescal, and a meringue that stood four inches tall.  I'd go back again just for the pie--nuthin' else.  This thing put the "P" in pie, dontcha know.  When I saw four enormous ones in the refrigerator case as we were leaving, I asked the price of a whole pie--just in case I might need that information.  I was told, with a totally straight face, "$70"...and that somehow that included an extra piece.....never could figure out the logic on that one...a whole pie and an extra piece...from where???  The guy then told me the pies have to be baked in a glass pie plate so when you return the pie plate, you get your $20 deposit back that they tack on in case you don't bring it back.  That still makes it a $50 pie.  OK...that did it for me.  Seeeee ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment