Blog Patrol Counter

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Well, it's about time...

I just finished reading in the newspaper--the paper one since they are still throwing it despite my cancellation--something that gives me hope that we really are making progress in this world towards acceptance of other people who might be different from us.  In the Guide section on Sunday's, there is a page called True Romance, that every week features a couple that's been together for eons or who got together through an interesting story--usually hardship.  Today's wasn't all that different--I'm sure this couple has seen their share of difficulties--but what made it remarkable to me is that the couple was two gay men in their late seventies and early eighties.  They've been together for over fifty years and are clearly as devoted to each other as any heterosexual couple.  Well, duh.  Love is love, after all.  But what got my attention most is that the the Dallas Morning News has finally come of age and is willing to feature a gay couple, despite what some may think. 

Five years ago, there's just no way this would have happened, and if certain ministers in town decide to make this an issue, we'll all be hearing about it.  A lot.  You can bet the farm on that one.  Sometimes I forget just how far behind we are in the Bible Belt, until something like this jogs my memory, and then I have to remind myself:  progress not perfection.  My congratulations to these two gentlemen.  May they have many more happy and healthy years together.  And let's keep moving forward.

And speaking of moving forward, the Washington Post featured an article a few days ago that I found particularly noteworthy.  The gist of it was this: let's make February a No Palin month.  Not a word, no pictures, nada, zip, zero.  Only I suggest this: let's make it a No Palin DECADE.  Now that's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment