Blog Patrol Counter

Monday, January 31, 2011

Adios, TI

Today is a really interesting day for one of my pals.  This gal is probably one of the smartest, neatest, nicest  people I know, and has worked at Texas Instruments for.........32 years.  Yep.  Seriously.  It's the first job she took right out of college with her MBA and her CPA, and she has been there ever since.  And today is her last day.  Hello, retirement and a big fat yahoo to that.

I cannot even imagine what it must have been like to work at the same place for 32 years.  She's ascended the TI chain like a meteor and I'll never forget way back when, she asked Fred and I if we would be character references for her, and of course we said "Sure".  We were not prepared for the next part, though....we would be visited at our home by an FBI agent, as my friend was being investigated prior to being given some super dooper high level Security clearance.  Yikes! The FBI at my house??? 

A few days later, up drove this ugly white non-descript Chevy or Buick, and out hopped the most unassuming guy you could ever imagine.  I still remember what he had on...light colored slacks, a short sleeved (cheapo) perma-press shirt, with a pocket protector-- I swear.  He questioned both of us, asked if our friend had ever espoused any Communist leanings, among other things.  I remember wanting to laugh out loud when he asked that, but was scared to death he might think we were hiding something.  Plus, I'm not thinking the FBI probably has a great sense of humor anyway. 

I knew my friend was retiring soon but for some reason I thought it was in April.  Not so, Kemo Sabe.  Today is her big day and I salute her for all of her years of hard work and dedication--not to mention trips all over the world.  You go, Betsy! 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like a rock star! Thanks for the coverage. It's hard to know where to start with all these unplanned days in front of me. Guess the ice and sleet will dictate tomorrow -- stay in my PJ's and huddle around the fireplace with a good book. Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have no trouble coming up with fun stuff to do! Enjoy! You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete